Posted on | August 23, 2011 | Category: News
Rikke Kornvig, Denmark and Samuli Saarela, Finland were the winners of the long distance final in the World Mountain Bike Orienteering Championships today at Marostica-Bassano, Italy.
Rikke Kornvig had an outstanding victory on the 27.5 km course with 750 m climb, completing it 6 minutes and 13 seconds quicker than silver medallist Ingrid Stengard, Finland. Laura Scaravonati cheered home supporters in taking the bronze medal, a further 3:13 behind. Olga Vinogradova, Russia, double gold medallist in the Junior World Championships last year, achieved a creditable sixth place.
In the men’s race Samuli Saarela, gold medallist at middle distance last year in Portugal, took the title with completion 4:35 quicker than Erik Knudsen Skovgaard, Denmark, who won the MTBO World Cup last year. The bronze went to the Russian Ruslan Gritsan.
The next race in the Championships is the middle distance final on Thursday.
Leading results (provisional)
1. Rikke Kornvig DEN 1:47:59
2. Ingrid Stengard FIN 1:54:12
3. Laura Scaravonati ITA 1:57:25
4. Susanna Laurila FIN 2:03:29
5. Ksenia Chernykh RUS 2:03:37
6. Olga Vinogradova RUS 2:05:47
1. Samuli Saarela FIN 2:00:12
2. Erik Knudsen Skovgaard DEN 2:04:47
3. Ruslan Gritsan RUS 2:06:27
4. Beat Oklé SUI 2:07:25
5. Davide Machado POR 2:07:55
6. Giaime Origgi ITA 2:07:56
Junior World Champions at long distance are Svetlana Poverina, RUS and Andreas Proschowsky, Denmark.|| Print page ||