Posted on | February 10, 2017 | Category: News
When Denmark organises the first ever Sprint WOC in July 2020 it will consist of three medal events. Two of the events are already well known from the current WOC, the third event is yet to be decided. Testing will be ongoing during 2017, and the IOF invites teams, clubs, organisers and training groups to participate in the testing.
The individual sprint and the sprint relay will stay on the programme for the new Sprint WOC. During March, the main testing period for the third event will start with test events in Italy. The IOF Council has made some decisions about the format of the event to be added to the program, such as:
- The event shall be an individual first-to-finish event, contested mainly in an urban environment.
- The event shall be a knock-out format.
There are some previous experience with knock-out formats from the World Cup races held in NORT some years ago, and further testing will be based on this format with mass start, and a new format with a chase start based on performance in previous round(s).
The main purpose of the test events is to get a solid volume of experience on the attractiveness of the different formats. A special focus will be put on the following issues:
- The attractiveness for athletes: a challenging competition.
- Suitable areas and suitable course planning.
- The need for forking systems and the development of forkings.
- The attractiveness for presentation for spectators, TV and other media.
- The attractiveness for organisers and sponsors.
- Development of the format, number of athletes in heats, number of heats, length of each heat, start procedure and so on.
Mazes (labyrinths) will be tested as a part of the courses.
Testing will be organised in different countries and in different events and training groups. The main testing period will be March-June 2017, with a second period for additional testing planned for July-September. A decision is expected by Council by the end of 2017, and the event will be further tested and fine-tuned in World Cup events during 2018 and 2019.
IOF is inviting teams, clubs, organisers and training groups to participate in the main testing period. This is an excellent opportunity for you/your athletes to be a part of the process with the development of the discipline from an early stage, and get some experiences before the event will be included in the World Cup from 2018.
If you are interested, please contact the project manager, Jørn Sundby: jorn.sundby (at) orienteering.org /+47 916 10 559. Deadline: 01.03.2017
Some basic needs for the tests:
- At least 8-10 elite runners of equal/close to equal level is needed for each test. Testing can be done by one or both genders.
- The tests shall be held in urban areas with good possibilities for route choices.
- A maze (labyrint) shall be included for some of the tests.
- The testing can be done in regular events, or as specific trainings. The tests events could in principle be organised by one person.
- The athletes testing shall have access to GPS-tracking units/watches for further analyses.
- The athletes and organisers shall give feedback through a web-based questionnaire immediately after each test.
- Course planning for each event shall be done in collaboration with the project manager.
- The organisers of the tests will be free to choose dates for their test(s) within the test period (March-June).
For additional information, please contact the project manager.|| Print page ||