Posted on | September 23, 2012 | Category: News
The winning team: Marika Hara, Jussi Laurila and Samuli Saarela, Finland. Photo: Reigo Teervalt
Finland was the hot favourite for victory today in the final Relay of the World Cup series, and duly obliged with a win by 2.32 over the Czech Republic. Finland displayed strength in depth with three teams in the first four, and Russia was the third nation to finish. Finland – Czech Republic – Russia is also the order of teams in the final Relay standings.
The winning Finnish team comprised Marika Hara on first leg, Samuli Saarela on second and Jussi Laurila on third. Jussi’s sister Susanna was a member of the third team into the finish. This team was involved in an exciting sprint finish with the Czech team, the time difference at the finish being 3 seconds.
Estonia provided three well-organised and challenging competitions to round off the World Cup season, and there was plenty of colour – in the Opening Ceremony on Friday and in the finish arenas. The event website www.orienteerumine.ee/mtbo2012/ carries large galleries of high-quality photos of all the competitions, along with full results, split times, GPS tracking display and so on.
Leading official results – Mixed relay
1) Finland 1:30:03 (Marika Hara, Samuli Saarela, Jussi Laurila)
2) Czech Republic 1:32:35 (Martina Tichovská, Martin Ševčik, Jiři Hradil)
3) Russia 1:35:28 (Tatiana Repina, Grigory Medvedev, Ruslan Gritsan)
4) France 1:35:30 (Gaelle Barlet, Stephane Toussaint, Clement Souvray)
5) Estonia 1:35:35 (Maret Vaher, Margus Hallik, Taaniel Tooming)
6) Lithuania 1:36:06 (Karolina Mickeviciute, Jonas Maiselis, Regimantas Kavaliauskas)
Leading Relay World Cup final standings
1) Finland 80 points
2) Czech Republic 57
3) Russia 52
4) Switzerland 48
5) Austria 44
5) France 44