Posted on | June 21, 2013 | Category: News
Denmark, Sweden and Switzerland on the podium. Photo: Sandor Talas
The mass start Long distance race today ended with victories for Cecilia Thomasson, Sweden, and Jussi Laurila, Finland. This was Laurila’s second individual gold medal of the Championships, whilst Thomasson had won a silver medal earlier in the week. The six medals were shared between six different nations.
In the women’s race Thomasson, silver medallist at Middle distance, had a comfortable lead at the end of 48 seconds over Camilla Søgaard, Denmark. These two had got well away from the rest of the field, however; third-placed Maja Rothweiler, Switzerland was 2:15 down on the winner. This is Thomasson’s first gold medal at this level of competition.
Laurila’s victory here was emphatic; a whole 2:29 went by before Valeriy Gluhov, Russia finished in second place. There was another quite big time gap until Jiři Hradil, Czech Republic appeared to take third position.
The final race of the Championships tomorrow is the mixed sprint relay.
Leading results, Long distance
- Cecilia Thomasson SWE 1:15:10
- Camilla Søgaard DEN 1:15:58
- Maja Rothweiler SUI 1:17:25
- Olga Vinogradova RUS 1:17:44
- Ingrid Stengård FIN 1:17:51
- Martina Tichovska CZE 1:18:03
- Jussi Laurila FIN 1:37:02
- Valeriy Gluhov RUS 1:39:21
- Jiři Hradil CZE 1:41:13
- Anton Foliforov RUS 1:41:28
- František Bogar CZE 1:42:03
- Vojtech Stansky CZE 1:42:07